StepStone is a rapidly growing Global Private Markets firm who provides customized investment and advisory solutions to some of the most sophisticated investors in the world. With $640 billion of total capital allocations, including $143 billion in AUM, we are highly diversified in the private markets across the globe and provide creative solutions to solve for the objectives of any investment program. With a culture built on entrepreneurialism, partnership and being a team within teams, our firm offers joiners the opportunity to think out loud, collaboratively.
StepStone is currently seeking candidates with excellent quantitative, qualitative, and interpersonal skills for Intern positions with StepStone’s Portfolio Management team. Candidates should be in pursuit of a quantitative or Economics/Finance master’s or doctoral degree. The Intern should also have some understanding of R, Python and/or Excel VBA. He/she will adhere to the highest ethical standards, as well as demonstrate maturity, reliability, and attentiveness to detail.
Primary responsibilities include:
• Collect private markets data from a variety of internal sources (including MySQL, pdf’s and excel files)
• Reconcile data by utilizing key return metrics and exploring historical trends
• Find statistically significant trends and develop models to inform our investment processes (R, Python, and VBA)
• Perform ad hoc analysis to be used across StepStone’s research due diligence process (R, Python, and VBA)
• Communicate analyses and conclusions to internal teams; produce written documentation of data, models, and code Other
• Hybrid role offering remote and on-site work options in our La Jolla, CA office
• Start immediately, offering flexible hours in the Spring and full time in the Summer
• Pursuing BS/MS/Ph.D. in Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Econometrics, Statistic or similar
• Experience in a financial environment. Knowledge of private markets and real estate is a plus
• Demonstrated track record of academic success
• Ability to represent the firm credibly in written and interpersonal communications
• Strong, demonstrable analytical capabilities, including strong quantitative/modeling skills
• Team player
• High proficiency in Excel (preferable), R (preferable) and Python (preferable)
• Experience with MySQL, Power BI, and R Shiny or Python/Django is a plus
• Flexibility—StepStone is a dynamic and entrepreneurial organization; all professionals are expected to perform multiple functions
Click here to learn more about the intern experience.
Salary Range: $20 – $25 / per hour
The salary range is an estimate of pay for this position. Actual pay may vary depending on job-related factors that can include location, education, skill, and experience. The salary range does not include any benefits or other forms of possible compensation that may be available to employees.
Working out of 26 offices in 15 countries, StepStone has a truly global viewpoint. As people are our biggest asset, we offer resources to help our employees reach their full potential. Our principles are based on integrity, transparency, respect and creativity, which together define how we do business.
When you choose to work at StepStone, you’ll find a group of professionals who are passionate about anticipating changes, solving problems and working together to make it all happen. Our integrated global team shares insights into how managers think and operate, as well as how they might perform.
StepStone offers a competitive compensation package including salary and incentive compensation for all full time hires, as well as a comprehensive benefits package.
We offer a range of benefits which include comprehensive healthcare, strong retirement plan, a mental health well-being program, paid time off, student loan repayment program for our US office locations, and several wellness initiatives.
Disclaimer / Policy Statements
At StepStone, diversity, equity and inclusion are an integral part of our culture. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees and allows them to be heard, regardless of title or tenure. Our organizational community features multiple Employment Resource Groups representing our dedication to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, StepStone does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.